Friday 1 August 2014

A Hidden Gem

Hello Lovely People

So last week was my 21st birthday - when I got so old I have no idea!! but to celebrate I spent a few days with my family in Enniskillen, a small town in County Fermanagh in Northern Ireland.


All in all, I was spoilt rotten and had a fabulously relaxing time - 21 has been very good to me.

During this trip I stumbled across a restaurant that was too good a find not to share with you.



Cafe Merlot - we booked this not expecting much. A probable "Irish, open fire in the middle of summer, smells like peat but a good feed, gastro-pub" sort of experience... However it was so much better.

Despite being on one of the main streets in Enniskillen - Church Street, it is not the easiest to find but I think this adds to the charm. 

We arrived, not even certain we were in the right place but we continued 
down through the staircases anyhow, arriving to a bright, sophisticated, really quite classy atmosphere. 




The food and service were both flawless. The food was unique, with amazing detail and flavour combinations you wouldn't have expected. 

It was also so lovely to have a more personal touch by being welcomed by the Co-owner and host Johnny Donnelly.

Being your stereotypical social media obsessed gal I obviously took pictures of every course for possible Instagram/tweet opportunities. 

MY THREE COURSES



My starter was a trio of things I have never had/thought to put together/can even remember the intricate names of but every aspect was delicious. 


My main was slow roast shoulder of lamb, rosemary mash with a pea and mint puree.
Honestly... this lamb was the best I've ever had, more tender than I thought possible. 

It even took the sting off the fact I was eating a wee lamb - which I usually feel are too cute to eat.



Lastly, I had a chocolate and hazelnut tarte which was heavenly. 

Chocolate hazelnut themed desserts, to me, usually set them selves up for disappointment as I would live off Nutella if I could and they usually just don't compare. But this was chocolatey and light at the same time (I know... I didn't think this possible for a chocolate tarte either)

Basically, we were very pleasantly surprised by Cafe Merlot and if you're ever in Enniskillen I would definitely recommend it! You can check them out on Facebook - Here

Hope you enjoyed my first "review" - I thought it could be a good starter topic but remember... be kind, I'm new.

Love
Nikki 
x

No comments:

Post a Comment